In affiliation of Gujarat Technological University, there are 88 Pharmacy Colleges which are offering B. Pharm program and out of these 48 colleges also offering M. Pharm programs. Each year nearly 5000 B. Pharm graduates and nearly 2000 M. Pharm graduates are passing out from the Gujarat Technological University. Due to increase in number of UG and PG Pharmacy students, there is a need for their skill development to make them more employable. The main problem that industry today facing is lack of availability of skilled technocrats, which are trained either at UG and PG level with “Industrial orientation”. Therefore there is a need of some Institute/Governmental agency who can provide “Industry orientation” / “Tailor made training” to UG and PG students of Pharmacy. Further, due to lack of availability of high end instruments, research students have to compromise with the equality of their dissertation work at PG as well as PhD level.
Further, Gujarat is a hub of Pharmaceutical Industry. Gujarat is number 1 in terms of manufacturing of drugs and pharmaceutical with approximate contribution of 40% in the total production of the country. There are nearly 10 largest research based Pharmaceutical companies are having their foot hold in Gujarat and approximate 2500 MSME and SME working on bulk drugs and formulations are available across the state. After TRIPS agreement, when India has open up its door to Global companies from 1st January 2005, our in-house SME/MSME have to struggle a lot to withstand against the competition created by MNCs. The main limitation faced by our SME/MSME is lack of innovation and R&D culture and further they can not able to afford huge amount for the same. Therefore there is a need of some Institute/Governmental agency who can provide state-of-art research facility to such SME/MSME of Pharmaceutical sector.
GTU has realized above mentioned both needs from Academia and from Institute side. Hence under the visionary leadership of Honb. Dr. Akshai K. Aggarwal Sir, Vice Chancellor of GTU, proposal to start dedicated Research “Center for Pharmaceutical Studies and Drug Delivery Technology” was conceptualized in 2012. The financial proposal was submitted to the Board of Governance of GTU and it was accepted in March 2012.
Currently GTU is setting up state-of-art research center at its Chandkheda campus dedicated to Pharmaceutical Science. This research center will be constructed and functional by the beginning of 2015. Approximately 6600 sq.mt. construction will be done for this research center. It will have total 7 Floors and separate building for Animal house.
Research departments under plan
The multi disciplinary research laboratories with high end instruments for different facets of Pharmaceutical sciences are under construction.
Other facility planned in this Research centre
Animal house (As per CPCSEA guidelines), Auditorium (150 seats capacity), Canteen, Centrally A.C., State of art Library (With E-library)
Objectives of this research center
- To facilitate M. Pharm and PhD students of Pharmacy for their research work, so that they will get access to high end instruments and should not compromise with the quality of research.
- To provide platform to Pharmacy students to pursue quality research and thereby make them more employable.
- To provide facility to PG and PhD students of Pharmacy to utilize state-of-art research lab and their instruments to carry out their research projects.
- To provide hands on training to UG and PG students of Pharmacy on sophisticated instruments.
- To provide technical support to MSME and SME of Pharmaceutical and Biotech company of the state by addressing their scientific problems.
- To collaborate and work with National and International Research Institutes for the Development of Drugs particularly for Tropical diseases and Orphan diseases.
- To initiate Faculty exchange and student exchange program with the best Universities of the world for knowledge sharing and caring.
Provisional Research Center
Till the work of main building of research center get completed at Chandkheda campus, currently research center is started at GTU, Gandhinagar Campus situated at Sector-26.
DR. MANISH RACHCHH MR. AMIT PATEL
ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR ASSISTANT PROFESSOR